This site is dedicated to Mercenary, Damocles and Mercenary 3 games, by Paul Woakes, (c) Novagen.
They were released on Atari ST and Amiga computers (and elder 8-bits for Mercenary).
Thanks to everyone that contributed to this site, check the credits section. Their names are associated to each of their contirbutions :-)
(for E-mails, see also this section)
latest update: 15th November 2015
Updated items now and in 2016 are tagged with , so that you notice them easily.
Small update, but still worth a look!
New versions of Pawel Garycki's detailed maps for Damocles and Damocles mission Escape From Eris, and for Mercenary III. They hold towns with all named locations and all items inprinted, as well as buses and taxi roads. The more valuable items (1000+) have the price indicated. Also there are all trading posts with percentage prices indicated.
You may also notice on the Damocles solution page that Pawel has found the sunshade item can be used as an alternative to the heat resist suit!
- Steven Gregory has written a nice entry on the AtariCrypt blog about Mercenary, with details about this site history.
- Andy Krouwel's excellent article about the making of Mercenary (published in Edge #153) is online, thanks Andy. Also, don't miss the small comment about it on Andy's main page, really worth reading IMHO ;)
- I stumbled upon a blog (apparently shelved since 2006) by Mo Warden, with a detailed post about her games industry career.
- Electrondance blog has a full 3-parts article on Mercenary 1 by Joel Goodwin. It's excellent!
- Another good read on US Gamer, about the 3 episodes, by Pete Davison. With pictures taken from this site ;)
- View the ST Damocles Demo video (thanks to '256 Colors').
- Check this great article on Mercenary from Tony Coles, for Eurogamer. Very nice read!
- You can now order the documentary From Bedroom To Billions, which holds an interview with Mo Warden! Haven't seen it myself but it seems promising.
Over the years I have recieved lots of incredibly interesting emails, but haven't always been able to reply. So I lost touch with some people that contacted me, which is always a pity. Right now I'm looking to contact again for an interview:
- Nick Bacchus - we exchanged lots of very interesting messages
- John Milford - you wrote in 1999 and your email address (not surprisingly) doesn't work anymore
- Peter Pachla - we chatted in 1999 and your email address (not surprisingly) doesn't work anymore
Gentlemen if you ever see this message please send me a mail ;)
Don't waste any time, here they are! If you think some hints are missing or if you discovered more about the games, mail me!
Mercenary, Damocles and Mercenary III . Also available: the Targ Survival Kit (official hints for Mercenary 1).
If you never saw the games or would like to see them again, make your choice! About 30 pictures for every game are available, so you're warned: it might be long to be loaded.
Mercenary 1 and The Second City, Damocles and data disks, Mercenary 3, and the quick story and pictures of Damocles for PC!
See also the Atari ST demo of Damocles, the Damocles boxes scans and Mercenary 3 boxes scans.
Pictures and interviews of The NOVAGEN team - the people that made the games.
Thanks to the work of Peter Young, here are the first reviews available here. I should add some more in the future.
Amiga users, here are hard drive installers for Mercenary 1, Damocles and Mercenary 3! They also fix some problems for use with A1200. Thanks to John Selck who sent them.
The D-Bug team patched Damocles and Mercenary III to run on Atari Falcon. The patched games also work for conventional Atari ST, and are hard-drive intallable.
Also available: the public transport schedule that was supplied in Mercenary 3.
The emulators section is here to help you to run Mercenary with various emulators. Fell free to contribute if you know emulators that are not described yet!
Welcome to the Benson Board System! Use the Mercenary BBS to leave a message, comments about the site or to ask anything about the games! All of the fans will be able to read your messages, and I hope the members of the Novagen team will take a look at it from time to time. I hope to see it filled quite quickly! :)
They are now here !
Thanks to everyone that contributed (and keep contributing) to this site.
If you feel interested, have any wish or comment about this site, send me an Email!
This Mercenary site might take a long time to be built, don't be impatient!!! Riss-Key builders are sorry.